The Department of Psychiatry was established in 1999, with the establishment of Yenepoya Medical College, a constituent college of Yenepoya University, Mangalore. Inter-disciplinary PhD started in 2009 and postgraduate course (MD) was started in the year 2011 and currently, 3 seats in M.D. Psychiatry have been sanctioned by the National Medical Commission/Medical Council of India. The department excels in academic programmes for post-graduates in the department. Case conferences every Wednesdays, Grand rounds every Thursdays and seminar on alternate Tuesdays are conducted regularly. Additionally, on the 1st Tuesday of every month, there is a Journal club programme and once a month College Scientific society meeting. Our Department also provides innovative teaching methods including Case vignettes, simulated patient learning and visits to our psychiatric rehabilitation centre, YENCOURAGE.
The Department excels in providing affordable mental health care without compromising on the quality of the services provided. The department has seen a steady increase in the number of patients utilizing our services over the years.
- To be one of the premier psychiatry departments in the country based on our education, scientific investigation and health care delivery.
- Strive to provide outstanding clinical care, which is comprehensive, affordable and delivered compassionately, appropriately responsibly and efficiently.
- The patient care provided will be done in a manner that supports and advances education and research.
- To be in the forefront of providing mental health care, education along with cutting edge research and innovation.
- To be a center which provides state-of-the-art education and training opportunities in Psychiatry to medical students and other allied specialties/ health professionals.
- To promote high quality interdisciplinary & innovative research among students and faculty in order to contribute to the advancement of existing knowledge.
- To cater to the mental health needs of the patients and community at large by way of providing quality mental health care with the aim of rehabilitating them back to society.
- Undergraduate: MBBS – 150 seats / year
- Postgraduate: M.D in Psychiatry - 3 seats / year
- PhD: Inter-disciplinary - 2 seats / year (8/Guide)
Brochure of YENCOURAGE, Inauguration of the Rehabilitation Centre