The Department of Neurology was established in 2011 and headed by Prof Dr. Bhaskara P. Shelley. The department has state- of-the-art technology and neuro-intensive facilities for Inpatients as well as Outpatients providing comprehensive tertiary level care for patients with neurological disorders. Prior to 2011, Neurology services were provided under the leadership of Dr Lally Alexander under the Department of Medicine from 2008. The spectrum and nature of disorders is similar to that at any large tertiary care hospital and involves patients with a wide variety of neurological disorders that includes diseases of the brain, demyelinating and neurodegenerative disorders, spinal cord, peripheral nervous system, neuromuscular diseases, and disorders at the interface of the brain and mind. In addition to Primary and Follow up Neurology OP services, subspecialty services are provided for cognitive and behaviour disorders, memory disorders, dementia, movement disorders, stroke-TIA, epilepsy, Neuro pain and healthy brain clinics. The department has a separate Neurophysiology laboratory subsection with state of art advanced neurophysiology digital equipments. Neurophysiology services are available on all working days.
To be the leader and preferred center for holistic, humanistic, and quality patient-centered neurological care, a frontier in neuro-education, and a knowledge-driven research center all targeted to prioritize the neurology workforce for a healthier population in India
- To foster competency and proficiency-based enriched teaching-learning experience in the principles and practice of Neurology in order to produce effective neurology specialists on par with existing standards in the country, and in keeping with the backbone of the national program for neurology care in India
- To champion leading-edge quality clinical services with humanism and care ethics that are multi-disciplinary, holistic, and equitable for all patients afflicted with diseases of the nervous system in a timely and efficient manner
- To envisage research in basic and clinical neurosciences in the context of both global and Indian neurological health scenarios, and develop cost-effective treatments for the growing burden of neurological disorders in India
Goals & Objectives
- To prepare clinically competent neurology specialist who can function as an effective leader of neurology team engaged in health care, research and/or training
- To train and foster ‘neurophilia’ in postgraduates through an integration of basic neurosciences and clinical neurology, to teach the skillful & art and science & of bedside neurologic algorithmic approach for logical deductive analysis, inductive reasoning, clinical reasoning skills, cognitive heuristics, pattern recognition skills, and critical thinking for a systematic approach to neuro-localisation.
- To train a HEART team (Humanistic, Empathetic, Altruistic, Relationship-centered Team) for a ‘patient centered’ compassionate neurological care.
- To train for the timely and early detection of common neurological disorders
- To impart postgraduates basic concepts of research methodology and neuroepidemiology; to be able to critically analyze relevant published research literature; extrapolate and design such research relevant to the Indian context
- To provide state-of-the-art diagnostic and therapeutic services with equitable access for the marginalized and rural regions by setting up “rural-community-satellite clinics–district-tertiary hospital” model services and foster rural-community outreach programs
- To play a innovative role in organization of neurological health care delivery services in the region with respect to clinical, investigative and community neurology
- To establish Research Groups: Forward-looking approach to developing wider programs in accordance to the health needs (both at tertiary level and rural/community levels) and research thrust areas region-specific neurological as well as national priorities research
- To develop a hospital based and community based database of prevalent neurological disorders and geriatric neurology disorders in the region
- To foster multicentre research and develop research collaboration/networks with other nodal centres in India as well as abroad (National & International Collaboration and MoU/Faculty Exchange fellowships/Training Programs)
- To promote community and public awareness campaigns in widely prevalent neurological disorders.
Synopsis of Department
The Department of Neurology located at Ward 5E has 24 inpatient beds (12 males; 12 females and 4 bed Neuro ICU). Neurology ICU caters to patients who need Level 1 and 2 of care. The ICU environment allows basic adult neurological observation, close supervision of supportive and specific treatment. The primary role of the NICU is that of the management of acute neurological emergencies and providing dedicated 24-hour care 7 days a week.
- DrNB Neurology: The Department of Neurology is approved and accredited by The National Board of Examinations (NBE) from 2019 to 2024 permitting 2 seats per year
- PhD Neurosciences
- BSc Neuroscience Technology under the aegis of Yenepoya College of Allied Health Sciences from 2020