Tel. No: 0824- 2204668 (Ext-2017)
The Department of Biochemistry at Yenepoya Medical College is recognized for its vibrant teaching to promote and nurture the training of undergraduate and postgraduate students, and PhD scholars. The department was set up when the Institute was established in 1992 and is situated in 1st floor of the academic block. The faculty is involved extensively in research activities related to basic, clinical and translational biomedical research. Research in the department is centered on understanding alterations, signaling pathways in cancers, proteomics, coronary artery and renal diseases. Currently, the department has a team of 12 dedicated faculty members and 7 nonteaching staff members.
The objectives of the departments are, to offer excellent standard in undergraduate and post
graduate teaching; to encourage student participation in self-directed, experiential learning, conferences and research activities; to conduct research in basic, clinical and biomedical research; to provide good patient care through clinical biochemical testing by strictly implementing quality control and generating accurate results.
• Team of experienced and enthusiastic faculty members using innovative, interactive teaching -learning methods for undergraduate, postgraduate and doctoral students
• Planning and carrying out simulation/ skills lab exercises for medical undergraduate and postgraduate students
• Ability to carry out interdisciplinary and translational research
• Technical skills to carry out diagnostic work in clinical biochemistry lab with quality control in compliance with NABL guidelines
• Regular, constant engagement in faculty development, ethics and PhD programs
1. Faculty aimed at providing unique opportunity for students to undertake core professional and research skills education
2. Encouragement to students for participation in activities such as seminars, group discussions, inter college quiz, essay writing competitions, model- making, flipped classroom and developing communication skills
3. Support to students for undertaking research projects under the guidance of faculty and presentations at various national and regional conferences
4. Well equipped UG and research lab with sophisticated instruments
5. Clinical biochemistry lab located in the Yenepoya Medical College Hospital which is NABL accredited ( ISO 15189: 2012) with a scope of accreditation including 65 parameters
6. Quality teaching for medical, dental, allied health and Ph.D. courses
7. A dedicated team of enthusiastic and experienced faculty members
8. Innovative, interactive teaching-learning methodologies and evaluative methods for undergraduate and postgraduate students
9. Faculty involvement in cutting edge areas of research such as proteomics, saliva diagnostics, cell signaling pathways in melanoma and breast cancers
10. Patents applied
• Research collaborations with other departments, Institutions and Universities
Biochemistry is the study of chemical processes within living organisms. Biochemistry is studied under the areas of- chemistry of biomolecules, metabolism, molecular genetics, nutrition, clinical biochemistry. The discipline is considered as a preclinical subject for students of first year of medical course and basic sciences subject for first years of other allied health courses.
Biochemistry deals with the structures, functions and interactions of biological macromolecules, such as proteins, nucleic acids, carbohydrates and lipids, which provide the structure of cells and perform many of the functions associated with life. The mechanisms by which cells harness energy from their environment via chemical reactions are known as metabolism. The findings of biochemistry are applied primarily in medicine and nutrition. In medicine, biochemists investigate the causes and cures of diseases. In nutrition, they study how to maintain health wellness and study the effects of nutritional deficiencies. Biochemistry is closely related to molecular biology, the study of the molecular mechanisms by which genetic information encoded in DNA is able to result in the processes of life.
Programs run by the Department
MBBS-The knowledge acquired in Biochemistry in the first year, of course, would enable medical students to understand the scientific basis of life processes at the molecular level in health and disease and orient them towards the application of the acquired knowledge in solving clinical problems. Annual intake is 150 students, coming from all corners of India
BDS- The major aim is to provide a sound but crisp knowledge on the biochemical basis of the life processes relevant to the human system and to dental practice. The annual intake of 100 students, coming from all corners of India
BSc Technology- It is an Allied Health specialty course concerned with acquiring technical skills to operate machinery, prepare patients, monitor treatment, work on protocols for equipment evaluation to work under a physician or nurse's supervision, usually in a hospital or clinic. As vital members of the health care team, medical technology professionals play a critical role in supporting medical professionals in giving good care to patients.
Specialities offered include, Renal Dialysis Technology (Annual intake is 12), Anaesthesia & OT Technology (Annual intake is 20), Medical Imaging Technology (Annual intake is 20), Perfusion technology (Annual intake is 10), Cardiovascular Technology (Annual intake is 10), Respiratory care Technology (Annual intake is 12), Medical Lab Technology (Annual intake is 20).
BSc Optometry- It is a program in the field of health care concerned with the examination, diagnosis and management of the disorders of the optical system of the eye. Optometrists play an important multidimensional role in the functioning of eye clinics and hospitals. Annual intake is 12.
BSc Nursing- Knowledge of basic principles of Biochemistry will enable the students to apply the principles in various nursing situations and offer good patient care. Annual intake is 100.
PBSc Nursing- Annual intake of 40 students
BPT- Knowledge of Biochemistry will enable the students to become health care professionals for health promotion and treatment of injury and diseases. Annual intake of 60 students
M.D in Biochemistry- In depth knowledge of the fundamental principles of biochemistry, would enable understanding the basis of health and disease, gain knowledge and expertise to pursue a career in biochemistry teaching, diagnostic work and research. It is a 3 year course with intake of 2 per year.
MSc. Medical biochemistry- Training in Medical Biochemistry will enable a student acquire sound knowledge in the subject and develop practical skills to contribute effectively in the fields of academics, health care and research. It is a 3 year course with intake of 10 per year.
MPT- Knowledge of Biochemistry will enable the students to become a master health care professional skills for health promotion and treatment of injury and diseases. Annual intake is 10
MDS-The major aim is to provide in depth knowledge on the biochemical basis of the life processes relevant to the human system and to dental practice. Annual intake is 50 in various dental specialties.
Ph.D.- To apply basic, advanced knowledge and practical skills of Biochemistry for translational research and deeper study to understand various disease processes and their treatments options.